Friday, September 2, 2011

Term 3 Week 5!

Halfway through already! What a week it was too!

We were very excited to have the official opening of our new Thomas Brydone Learning Centre on Tuesday.  The TBLC is an extra-large classroom where we can have school celebrations, jump jam, visiting performers and special events.

The library is on shelves at the back of the room and we can't wait to be able to get our hands on all the new books Mrs T has got waiting there for us!
Mrs Johansen and Hayden tell us about Thomas Brydone
Mr McKenzie welcomes everyone
Lanney from Room 5 Kereru gives the karakia

Board chairperson Mrs Heads, MP Eric Roy, Minister of Education Anne Tolley, Mrs Jo and Hayden

The room also has two small teaching spaces for small group work, and the back corner has a special e-learning room for videoing and animation - this week Kieran, Josh R and Tom have been learning how to use the animation software so they can be the experts who teach the rest of us what to do when it is our turn.

For the opening we had the Minister of Education, Mrs Anne Tolley, and MP Eric Roy, here for the official opening as well as many other special guests who had been involved with the building. We sang our school song and Mrs Johansen talked about who Thomas Brydone was.  We wish to thank Mr McKenzie for all his hard work over the past few years to get this new building here for us to use! It looks awesome!

We first used the building last week at the LMV Speech Contest - well done to Josh J for being the runner-up in the Year Six section!  All of the speeches were great and we had a lot of fun listening to them.

On Monday we were in the new Centre for a first aid lesson with Jo from St John's.  We learnt how to put people in the recovery position and also how to help them if they are choking.  We practised wrapping bandages on sprained ankles too. 

Two teams went to Waianiwa on Tuesday for the BP Technology Challenge - Madi F, Anton, Gabby, Kim, William, Renee S and Madi S, and Jordan had built two wind-powered racers, practised building a flagpole and then also had to build a catapault for a pingpong ball.  Unfortunately neither team was placed, though one team won drink bottles for their enthusiasm and teamwork.  It was a great experience for all involved and thank you to Mrs Knapp and Mrs Schreurs for taking the cars. 



Today we are celebrating Dad's Day - we have got a lot of dads, grandads and uncles in the school to join us for jump jam and games.  In Room Six some of us have shown our dads what we get up to on the internet and we are playing board games as it is too wet to go outside.  Thanks to all the dads who were able to drop by and visit. 

26 comments:

kieran said...

This week I enjoyed weaving.

I am pleased with my weaving.

I still need to improve on my mini- ball

Maria said...

This week I enjoyed the opening of the Thomas Brydone Learning Centre because Anne Tolley told us a story.

I am pleased I got finished with pulling out the Wefts because I left a good amount of brown.

I still need to improve my linking because I keep forgeting to link.

William said...

This week I enjoyed the BP Technology Challenge because it was fun builging stuff e.g a flag pole.

I am pleased I did the BP Technology Challenge.

I still need to improve on mini ball.

madi said...

This week I enjoyed making a start on weaving.

I am pleased I went to the BP Challenge.

I still need to improve on remembering.

madi said...

This week I enjoyed making a start on weaving.

I am pleased I went to the BP Challenge.

I still need to improve on remembering.

kobie said...

This week enjoyed weaving.
I am pleasd with my maths because I past.
I still need improve on spelling.

Dylan said...

This week I enjoed maths because
it was a challang.
I am pleasedI passed my maths test because I have been on it forever.
I still need to improve writng because im not neat enough.

MCKENZIE said...

This week I enjoyed the opening of the Thomas Brydone Learning Centre.

I am pleased I am remembering to link in my writing.

I still need to improve on my slope in my writing.

mitchell said...

This week I enjoyed art.

I am pleased I did art.

I still need to improve on miniball.

Kim said...

This week I enjoyed going to the bp challengeand we got a spot prize for team work.

I am pleased I did a box when we were doing weaving.

I still need to improve on my neatness.

liam said...

This week I enjoyed playing MiniBall.

I am pleased that we done art and that my Dad is coming to Dads day today.

I still need to improve on nothing. :)

Gabby said...

This week I enjoyed going to the BP Technology Challenge.

I am pleased I am improving in my spelling.

I still need to improve writing neatly.

Anton said...

This week I enjoyed weaving and making patterns on the fabric.I also enjoyed going to the BP challenge.

I am pleased I got a prize for the BP challenge!

I need to improve on my basic facts. Im not very good!

Josh Jolly said...

This week enjoyed weaving because it is fun.
I am pleased I had a good go at weaving.
I still need to improve on my maths.

Keryn said...

This week I enjoyed the opening of the Thomas Brydone Learning Centre.

I am pleased I had a go at mini ball.

I still need to improve on my spelling

Rhiannon said...

This week I enjoyed weaving.

I am pleased I learnt the recovery position.

I still need to improve on my mini ball skills

Hannah said...

This week i enjoyed weaving because the type of weaving we are doing is different than normal.

I am pleased with myself because this week I gave everything a go even if I knew I did not want to.

I still need to improve on being neat but writing fast at the same time.

shaz said...

This weak i enjoyed weaving.

I am pleased i had a go at mini ball.

I still need to improve on writing neat.

Hayden said...

This week I enjoyed the opening of the Thomas Brydone Lerning Centre.

I am pleased I went to school on Tuesday because we had miniball practice.

I still need to improve on my spelling because I get lots of words wrong.

Thomas said...

I enjoyed maths on Thursday because we measued how long the fasted plane in the wood get from Invercargill to Christchurch in.By the way it would take 7.5 mins.

I am pleased I got 91 in my maths test.

I still need to improve 2 by 2 multiplcation in tens

Daniel H said...

This week L enjoyed jet plane maths

I am pleased I got 97 in my math test

I still need to improve on my spelling

Josh R said...

This week I enjoyed novel because brian made aroww heads.

Iam pleased I made cool movies.

I stil need to improve on spelling.

Bailey Wallace said...

This week I enjoyed novel because brain made aroww heads that work better and kill more thing.

I'm pleased I passed my basic facts this week.

I still need to improve on my maths because Im on a hard basic fects shet.

Madi said...

This week I enjoyed doing weaving.

I'm pleased I finished my weaving.

I still need to improve on writing neater.

kieran said...

This week i enjoyed weaving.

i,m pleased with my summer memories story.

i still need to improve on my linking.

Taya Lewis said...

THE BEST PART OF THIS WEEK WAS MONDAY BECAUSE IT WAS THE FIRST DAY BACK AT SCHOOL.