Friday, February 10, 2012

Term One, Week 2 - Year Six Welcome

This week we held our Year Six Welcome afternoon - a special event during which the Year Sixes are introduced to their leadership role within the school.

Mrs Lorraine Stuart from the Board of Trustees welcomed the pupils, parents, staff and invited guests. Our principal Mr David McKenzie (above) spoke a few words of advice followed by our school chaplain Mrs Sandra Hunter who urged the Year Sixes to have a good year and to protect their good name with positive actions and deeds.

The Year Sixes then met with a panel of ex-pupils (Jordan Stuart, Josh McKenzie, Jamie and Bella Ranstead and Joseph Ferguson) to hear their advice. Thank you to these young men and women for giving us their time to talk about their experiences.

Then we had a question-time with our special guests - local Eastern Southlanders Hayley Saunders (right) and Ashleigh Smith (left) from the Southern Steel netball team - to talk about reaching for goals and how to deal with the steps and events along the way.

The new Student Council was announced by Miss De Groot, who will be overseeing the Student Council this year, and our two Steel players presented the new members with their special badges.

Congratulations to Marina, Josh R, Tom, Caitlin, Gabrielle and Hayden - our new Student Council as voted by the pupils in Rooms Tui, Kereru and Kokako. We had 22 pupils stand for the election and all would have done a sterling job - we know the rest of the Year Sixes will support these six pupils as they carry out their very important role this year.

This week we also worked on some colourful art for our walls - using a black and white A4 size photo of ourselves, we cut out the initial of our first name...added decoration with crayon...then dyed the background - they look groovy don't they?

See more on our personal blogs at http://room6eps.wikispaces.com/Blogs+By+Us%21!

18 comments:

shaz said...

This year I am looking forward to Yr 6 camp because it sounds so fun and everyone is talking about it.

kobie said...

This year I am looking forword to camp because all the fun Ihinkings you get to do there.

Thomas said...

This year I am looking forward to learning lots because I want to have a foundation for high school

caitlin said...

this year im loooking forward to
camp because its so fun.

Keryn said...

This year I am looking forward to be doing assembly because I want to hand out all M.V.P to the people.

freya said...

looking forward to school camp and our new school councillors activity's

Hayden said...

This year I am looking forward to doing stuff for the student councill.

William said...

This year I am looking forward to meeting all the new people because I really like to have friends

Maria said...

This year I am looking forward to camp because it will be a diffrent experience for me.

marina said...

This year I am looking forward to go to camp because there will be lots of fun stuff to do

Gabby said...

This year I am looking forward to doing lots of stuff for the Student Council because you do fun fun things.

Renee said...

This year I am looking forward to year 6 camp because it sounnds so fun and everybody talks about it.

Josh R said...

This year I am looking forword to school camp because last year 5 camp was awesome. So I hope year 6 camp is cool.

Maddy said...

This year i am looking forward to camp because there are heaps of fun things.

Breana said...

This year I am looking forward to camp because I have not been there before.

Rhianna said...

This year I am looking forward to
the yr6 camp because i have never been before

Jake said...

This year I am looking forward to camp coulamba because all the adventures you get to do there

Bailey said...

This year I am looking forward to camp coulamba because all the adventures you get to do there.