Friday, July 1, 2011

Term 2 Week 9

Yesterday was interesting at Edendale School with many pupils dressed up as various types of Super Heroes (some more recognisable than others) as a Student Council fundraiser for our sponsor child Grace.




$142 was raised by characters such as Captain Underpants, Super Silver Fern Girl, Pyjama Girls, Super Blue Bubble Man and Extreme Zombie. There were a few Cat Women, Batmen, Spidermen and even Wonder Woman.

Student Council and the best dressed from each room!


We held our speeches this week, and heard about a variety of topics - pet dogs, fuel, rugby, Grandad, soap, gumboots, cameras and more.  All speeches were well-written and delivered very confidently.  We enjoyed the new information we heard as well as some of the funny things people said.

These were videoed and are being put onto our YouTube channel and will also be linked to our personal blogs - it does take a while for each video to load so some may not get loaded until after Mrs Coyle returns from Singapore at the end of Week 11.

Ski trip has had to be cancelled as there is still no snow up at the Remarkables. We are disappointed about this and wish to thank Mrs Jo for all her time and effort to arrange (and unarrange) the trip. The Year Fives are hoping for better luck next year with the weather!


The big highlight this week was the class reward to the ILT Velodrome in Invercargill on Wednesday - we worked on basketball skills with Mark Dickel and Gareth Dawson from the Southland Sharks, and we learnt to ride racing bikes on the velodrome track, assisted by NZ cyclist Eddie Dawkins.

Room Six Kokako with our Cycling Southland tutors (from left: Cathy, Matt, NZ star Eddie Dawkins, and Liz)

Mrs C and Group A with Southland Sharks basketball team members
Mark Dickel (captain and ex Tall-Black) and Gareth Dawson


Many of us were able to ride onto the slope of the track, with some, like Liam, heading right up into the top half of the track - we learnt that with these racing bikes it is important to keep your speed up when on the slope (as it is MAJORLY steep!)

None of us got as fast as Eddie Dawkins though - in a race he would have lapped us almost four times in the time it took most of us to do one lap!

As for our basketball skills - there could be a few future Southland Sharks and Tall Blacks or Tall Ferns in the class going by some of the great shots that were happening!

Thanks to the parents who drove us there and helped with the sessions (some of you were pretty good on the bikes or basketball shots too!)

20 comments:

Hannah said...

This week I enjoyed going to the velodrome in Invercargill for a class trip because we filled our class point cart. I enjoyed the cycling more tyhan the basket ball.

My speech was about 'Toilet Paper' being the best invention ever. I thought I did pretty good because I got so good feedback.

I would like to improve on working towards things not giving up. (Not that I gave up.)

Kim said...

This week I enjoyed the super hero day and seeing all the cool ideas.

My speech was about gumboots I was very nervous.

I would like to improve my cycling skills.

Gabby said...

This week I enjoyed going to the velodrome. I was going high up the slope.

My speech was about cameras. I said mine on Monday.

I would like to improve linking in all my work.

Mckenzie said...

This week I enjoyed having a basketball skills with 2 basketball Sharks called Mark Dickel and Gareth Dawson.

My speech went ok I was a bit scared in case no one liked my speech but it went well.

I would like to improve on remembering to link in all my righting.

Josh R said...

This week I enjoyed going to the velodrome. And the basketball sesion with the sharks team. My speech went well I liked doing it I would like to improve on my linking.

Madi said...

This week I enjoyed going to the velodrome and doing cycling.

My speech was about birds an dI did mine on Tuesday.

I would like yo improve on speeking louder.

Anton said...

This week I enjoyed going to the Veledrome.We got to cycle around the Veledrome and we played basketball!

My speech was about telescopes and I think I didn't do very well and I forgot half of it!

I would like to improve on basic-facts. I only got 74 today (01.07.11)! It is reallty hard!

Room Kokako 2010-2012 said...

This week I enjoyed going to the velodrome.I was good at basket ball

My speach was about my dog.

I would like to improve at linking in my work so that people can read it

Taya said...

This week I enjoyed doing basket ball with the sharks.

My speech was really good.I gave it a real good try.

I would like to improve on my neatness in my work.

William said...

This week I enjoyed biking

My speech was about why we should have bubble gum at school.

I would like to improve nothing.

Keryn said...

This week I enjoyed going to Invercargill to the ILT Velodrome in Invercargill to do cycling and basketball.

My speech was about soap and how it makes you nice and cleen.

I would like to improve on linking and sloping in all my books so I can be a penpal.

kieran said...

this week i enjoyed going to the velodrome and meeting 2 basketball players- Gareth dawson and Mark dickel!! My speech went well everyone liked. I would like to imprve on my linking.

Josh Jolly said...

This week I enjoyed doing my speech because I feel really good that I got it over and done with.
My speech sounded better than I thought.
I would like to improve on my reading.

Dylan said...

this week I enjoyed coming back to NZ because I got to see all my friends.

I would like to improve writing because Im not fast enough.

Liam said...

This week I enjoyed going to the Velodrome doing cycling. I got past the top line blue that is the steepest part of the track.
My speech was cool and I can tell that people liked it. I was very nervouse and I dont know if I spoke to fast so I'm a bit worried about that.
I would like to improve my basic facts so that I can pass my test.

Liam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maria said...

This week I enjoyed going to the velodrome and riding the bikes.

My speech wsa about why I think computers are an important invention.I give my speech 10 out of 10.

I would like to improve my linking because I keep forgetting to link.

Hayden said...

This week I enjoyed velodrome I was really good at it

My speech was about chooks

I would like to improve on my spelling

William said...

This week I learnt about Sir Peter Jackson

This week I enjoyed finding out about Sir Peter Jacson

I would like to impove nothing

Abbey said...

Cool it sounded lyk you guys had fun.