Friday, May 4, 2012

Term Two Week Two - exciting wins!

Kia ora koutou! Another working week over and Steve the rooster has returned to hang out with us at Edendale Primary School. It seems he is back from his summer wandering to spend his winter days with us, clearing up the crumbs we leave behind at lunchtime!

In our learning tasks this week we have had a real mixture of activities and excitement!

On Tuesday we began our hockey skills sessions with Sport Southland and today we shared our recorder playing skills with the school during Celebration - we have worked with Mrs Anderson over the past two sessions of Arts @ Edendale and were thrilled to play a couple of tunes today.


In numeracy maths we have continued with our subtraction strategies, as well as some fractions work and decimals work. Our strand maths is about geometry (shapes) and we will also be practising our time-telling skills this term.

For our inquiry this term we have a technology focus and this week we began looking at just what technology is and how we might define it. Next week we will look at the technology process and begin working on a project of design.

Our literacy this week has been based on writing letters to Richie McCaw, the All Black captain, to tell him what the Rugby World Cup of 2011 meant to us (an NZRFU competition - if one of us wins then an All Black will come to the school to meet us!).

Some of us chose a different writing context - we have worked on an anti-bullying poem for a competition being run by El Gregoe the magician and TrustPower. Watch out for these poems on our blogs next week.

We are also getting into little groups to find out about a variety of topics, which will be presented as movies or animations or webpages - Burt Munro, the recycling wheeliebins, our sponsor child Grace, penguins, and more! Keep an eye out for our creations over the next few weeks.

Our main excitement this week was finding out we have been chosen to decorate the changing rooms of the Southern Steel netball team for their next home game at the Velodrome on Sunday May 20th - we are planning our decorations and will be spending a $200 Spotlight voucher on materials for our ideas. We get tickets to watch the game and will also be forming a guard of honour as the team takes the court for their warm-up! Very exciting for a netball-nut like Mrs Coyle and the other netballers and sports fans in the class!!

This has come about because of our efforts to show our support for the Steel during the Clicked Yet? Road Safety demonstration that we had here at school, with Sheryl and Hayley from the Steel, just before the holidays! Way to go Room Kokako!!

And this afternoon we were thrilled to find out we had won a competition with Scholastic Books - Jeremy from Scholastic came along to Celebration and told us Marina had been drawn as the winner in a Star Bookclub competition held in Term One which we had all entered.  Each of us won a book to read and Marina won a $20 voucher and Mrs Coyle won a $50.  Thanks Scholastic!!

19 comments:

Gabby said...

This week I enjoyed writing my poem for the El Grego.

William said...

This week I enjoyed writing to Richie McCaw because it is probably the only time I will ever get to write to him.

kieran said...

This week I enjoyed writing to Richie Mcaw because I might not get to do it again!

Keryn said...

This week I enjoyed writing a poem to El Gregoe I think I did really well.

freya said...

This week I enjoyed doing hockey with Lucy it was really fun because we played lots of games and I have never played hockey before.

Room Kokako 2010-2012 said...

This week I enjoy playing Hockey because we played lots of games .

Breana Harvey said...

This week I enjoyed when we did hockey because we got taught skills for hockey.

Rhianna said...

This week I enjoyed playing hockey with Lucy because two men came and taught us how to play and I won one of the games.

Rhianna said...

This week I enjoyed playing hockey with Lucy because two men came and taught us how to play and I won one of the games.

shaz :) said...

This week I enjoyed learning German, it was really fun.I also enjoyed hockey with Lucy because we had a great time learning hockey skills!!

Maddy said...

This week i enjoyed doing hockey because i learnt some hockey skills and i like playing hocky.

Maria ;) said...

This week I enjoyed playing hocky with Mark and Tony because I enjoyed playing the games with them.

caitlin said...

This week I enjoyed playing hockey with Tony,Mark and Lucy because we get to do it every Tuesday

sam said...

this week i enjoyed having mrs miller and doing my current events

Room Kokako 2010-2012 said...

I cant wait antil my Richie mcCaw letter is pubbished.
Jake

Josh R said...

This week I enjoyed
wrighting a poem for El Grego

kobie said...

This week I enjoyed writing a poem to El Grego and our maths and spelling.

Thomas said...

This week I enjoyed writing a letter to Richie McCaw Congratulating him on the Rugby World Cup win.

Hayden said...

This week I enjoyed playing hockey because I have never played it.